Sunday 12 April 2015

Quality vs Quantity

Part of my journey to fulfilment as a mother is making sure that I spent quality time with my boys. You know actually DOING stuff with them. It's so easy sometimes to get distracted by things. Housework, mobile, TV, the net, friends or daily life in general all keep us from just stopping and being present in the moment.

Be present.

That is going to be my new mantra.

I am someone who is constantly multi tasking. I write lists often just before I go to bed so I can remember all those things I have to get done over the next day, week or month. It might sound rather organised but I rarely actually complete those lists and I believe it probably just adds to the stress anyway. Of course I don't recommend not writing lists if you are a particularly forgetful person and have bills to pay because well, I don't want to be responsible for you not paying your bills......

I'm also trying to become a little more minimalist. I'm sure there is some link between having too much "stuff" and stress, not to mention having lots of things means you have to put it somewhere. If you have kids you'll be able to understand that just because you put it away doesn't mean it will stay there for long.

I recently read a great post by a lady who packed up almost all of her children's clothes because she was at her wits end with the piles and piles of washing. I could totally relate! I might just have to do a little spring clean of the boys cupboards and mine. To be perfectly honest though, I don't have a lot of clothes for myself. Having had two babies over three  years I was not interested in buying nice things that may or may not fit in a few months with my weight either gaining with a baby or losing after so I have a selection of basics all in neutral colours and stretchy fabric.

Part of the spring clean will no doubt generate some extra cash too which is always a good thing. I've got a fair bit of experience now selling on Gumtree and ebay and already this year have done quite well when I started my decluttering mission. Getting rid of a few baby things meant we were able to get platinum tickets to Nitro Circus this year. It was worth every cent.

If you have any tips of living minimalist with small children I want to hear about it so please send your tips my way. Getting rid of all the baby stuff though.. thats going to be the hard one for me as we are undecided if we want more or if two is enough. Most days I think two is enough though, especially when Master 2.5 is having a meltdown about something every five minutes......

EJ xo

No comments:

Post a Comment